The Writing Center
| About The Writing Center|
The USC Upstate University Writing
Center is dedicated to assisting both experienced and inexperienced
writers at all stages of the writing process, in any discipline. We
assist students with pre-writing, revision strategies and proofreading
techniques. Tutors can offer help with global aspects of your writing
such as organization and structure, or provide instruction on word
choice, punctuation and grammar. Tutors also assist with other writing
projects such as resumes, cover letters, admissions essays and
Students can come in for one-on-one tutoring at any stage in their writing process, which includes:
- developing outlines and drafts
- organizing drafts
- learning practical strategies to address specific writing challenges
- reviewing patterns of grammatical error (not proofreading)
- reviewing papers for unintended plagiarism and reviewing documentation styles
- receiving limited instruction on database and other library searching
- preparing graduate school essays, resumes and other school-related documents
The Writing Center is pleased to offer Distance Tutoring via join.me! This service is intended for students who are unable to come to campus – particularly students at the University Center in Greenville and students who solely take online classes.
Students who attend classes at the Spartanburg campus are ineligible for this service. These students are encouraged to take advantage of the face-to-face sessions offered at the Writing Center.
To prepare for a distance tutoring session, please follow the directions below:
- Call the Writing Center at 503-5883 and make an appointment. Be sure to specify that your appointment will be a distance-tutoring appointment. This will allow your tutor to prepare appropriately.
- Before the appointment, email a copy of your assignment and whatever work you have done so far (notes, a draft of the paper, etc.) to email@example.com.
- At the time of your appointment, call the Writing Center at 503-5883. Tell them who you are and that you are calling for your distance-tutoring appointment.
- Your tutor will instruct you in how to open join.me on your computer. She will give you a web address that will allow you to see her computer screen as you discuss the paper. Make sure your computer has a working microphone and speakers.
- From here, you’ll proceed with the appointment as usual.
Who are the Writing Center tutors?
Tutors are University faculty members and students who have been selected to work in the Writing Center because of their outstanding teaching and writing ability.
Why should I come to the Writing Center?
Students who come to the Writing Center benefit from sharing their writing with a fellow student who is both knowledgeable and service oriented. By working with tutors, students have the opportunity to learn more about writing and to become better writers over time.
How long are the tutoring sessions? What should I bring? Will I need an appointment?
The Writing Center provides free 50-minute, one-on-one tutoring sessions. Please bring your assignment instructions along with your paper draft. Appointments should be scheduled in advance with the Writing Center, but walk-ins may be occasionally accommodated.
Tutors are very busy during midterms and the end of the semester. Please plan ahead and call the Writing Center at (864) 503-5883 for an appointment!