How We've Grown
The University of South Carolina Upstate Library began in a small room located on the first floor of the Spartanburg General Hospital nursing residence in 1967. Increasing enrollment and lack of physical space, the Library was moved in the Spring of 1968 to the basement of what was formerly the Spartanburg County Health Department. At that time the holdings of the library totaled 9,607.
The USC Upstate campus began in the fall of 1969 with one building – the current Stockwell Administration Building. The library had grown to over 14,000 volumes and occupied 5,907 square feet of space.
Construction of a new building began in 1976. In addition to housing the Library, the building was designed for classrooms and office space. The project took one year to complete and classes were held in the building for the first time In January 1977. In 1992, the library portion of the building was expanded to 30,000 square feet and the second floor was remodeled. Library statistics for the '90-'91 academic year showed the library's volume count at 100,000. The library now has more than 220,000 items.
The University of South Carolina Upstate is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and masters degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of USC Upstate. Comments or Complaints?