Leadership and Service Living Learning Community
The Leadership and Service Learning Community is a group of 25 students who think leadership development and making a difference are fun and rewarding experiences. This community strives to promote a vibrant group of socially conscious individuals focused on developing leadership skills through academics and community based experiences.
The Leadership and Service community is a residential program in which participants live in the residential halls on the same floor or within close proximity to each other with a Residential Advisor directly assigned to this community.
The following categories outline the main opportunities for Leadership and Service community members:
- Leadership: Students will participate in regularly scheduled leadership workshops focusing on the Social Change Model of Leadership Development (SCM). Participants will also complete the StrengthsQuest® assessment.
- Service: Completion of at least 15 hours of service in the Greater Spartanburg and Greenville Communities per semester are expected of all students participating in the program. This requirement can be met through individual service projects, community projects coordinated by the group, and by projects offered through the Office of Student Life.
- Capstone Project: During the Spring semester, students will participate in the student led initiative in which they work in groups to plan and implement a service project for the community using the skills they have learned as being part of this program.
All students will be required to complete an application explaining why they would like to be part of and what they hope to bring to the community. Decisions regarding who is admitted into the program are made by Housing and Residential Life and Student Life staff.
If selected to be part of this program, participants will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Live in the residential hall as assigned by Housing and Residential Life and abide by all housing policies;
- Have and maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA while participating in the program;
- Be in good social and academic standing with the University of South Carolina Upstate;
- Complete the required leadership and service components of the program;
Participants should anticipate dedicating 2-4 hours each week to the program.
Why you should consider the Leadership and Service community?
The Leadership and Service community is ideal for students with a passion for community engagement and leadership development. It is the ideal place for you to meet others interested in giving back to the community and learning important skills to become a leader. It is fun, engaging, and will help you feel at home here at USC Upstate!
The Leadership and Service community not only offers involvement in service projects and leadership development, it also provides a welcoming sense of community and will foster friendships among participants.
The Leadership and Service Living Learning Community has been created through collaboration between Housing and Residential Life and Student Life at USC Upstate.
For more information, you may contact the following individuals: