Languages, Literature & Composition
About the Department
The Department of Languages, Literature and Composition (LLC) offers majors and minors in English and Spanish, as well as minors in African American Studies, Creative Writing, Film Studies, French, German, International Studies and Spanish Translation/Interpreting. Click HERE for detailed course descriptions for each semester.
- Our faculty membersare committed to innovative teaching, significant scholarship, and the creation and maintenance of a collegial community. Click here for NEW BOOKS by LLC faculty.
- The department offers courses and study abroad experiences that meet requirements for majors, minors, and students in the general education program at USC Upstate.
- As part of the English 101/102 general education requirement, LLC coordinates the campus-wide PREFACE first- year reading program, including readings, cultural events, and exhibits designed to bring together the University community in discussion of a single text and the issues it raises. The PREFACE book for Fall 2012 is Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori and Rom Brafman.
- The Department of Language, Literature, and Composition also houses and staffs the University Writing Center and the Foreign Language Lab.
LLC Literary Publications
- WritersINC, the USC Upstate literary magazine. Cody Owens is the editor for 2011-2012. Submit your poetry, creative nonfiction, short fiction, photography, graphic art, 2D art, and original music in the WritersINC office at CLC 235 or email the editor.
- English Literary File: An Online Journal of Academic Work by the Students of USC Upstate. Samantha Weiss is the student editor for 2012. ELF highlights outstanding student writing in English studies, including literary analysis, literary theory, rhetoric, linguistics, and creative writing. Click to view the latest volume.
LLC Student Organizations
Scholarships and Awards