Committee for Faculty Excellence (CFE)
The members of the Committee for Faculty Excellence (see list below) support and promote faculty excellence and faculty development in the areas of teaching and productive scholarship. The committee:
- Recommends the disbursement of the Teaching and Productive Scholarship (TAPS) funds and collects final reports of grant activity. Deadlines below.
- Selects faculty for the scholarly and/or creative pursuits award. Nominations due Feb. 15; portfolios due Mar. 15.
- Reviews sabbatical proposals, due electronically to CFE chair by first Monday in October.
- Collects final sabbatical reports of accomplishments are due electronically to CFE chair two months after start of semester in which the faculty member returns.
The purpose of the USC Upstate Teaching and Productive Scholarship (TAPS) Fund is to promote good scholarship including original research projects, programs that support curriculum development and travel for presentation of scholarship. Funded projects support faculty scholarship with the goal of formal presentation and/or publication, improve pedagogy and curriculum development to contribute to the USC Upstate mission and/or enable major service projects that require application of scholarly and/or professional knowledge.
Faculty members who are applying for travel funds are encouraged to apply early, at least one to two months prior to travel. Applications for conference travel will be accepted as soon as you have received notification of acceptance to present. In accordance with University policy, TAPS grants cannot be awarded for travel that has already occurred.
at 4 p.m.
|For Travel |
On or After
|September 18, 2013 ||September 27, 2013||September 30, 2013|
|October 16, 2013 ||October 25, 2013 ||October 28, 2013|
|November 13, 2013 ||November 22, 2013 ||November 25, 2013 |
|December 4, 2013||December 13, 2013 ||December 16, 2013 |
|January 15, 2014 ||January 24, 2014||January 27, 2014|
|February 12, 2014||February 21, 2014||February 24, 2014|
|March 19, 2014||March 28, 2014||March 31, 2014|
|April 16, 2014||April 25, 2014||April 28, 2014|
|May 14, 2014||May 23, 2014||May 26, 2014|
|June 11, 2014||June 20, 2014||June 23, 2014|
TAPS Grant Criteria and Forms
Policies Approved by Faculty-Senate, March 2009
Format Updated January 2014
Please use the 2014, simplified form in Word format or PDF format
- Successful proposals include a narrative with clear organization, cohesion and a clearly-defined statement of purpose, goals and objectives.
- Successful proposals support institutional and/or unit goals and objectives.
- Successful proposals demonstrate the proposed project's potential to contribute to the individual's professional development and/or scholarly/creative agenda.
- Successful proposals demonstrate the significance and/or potential of the proposed project to contribute to the field, the knowledge domain and/or society.
Please follow all instructions for IRB approvals and budget documentation. Applications will be delayed until full documentation is included. Submit your signed cover sheet and application materials to the Faculty Senate Committee Assistant, Renee O'Brien, Academic Affairs, Administration 224.
Final Reports and Receipts
TAPS Final Report Form (Word or PDF).
All recipients of TAPS grants are required to submit all receipts and a completed final report form
(via email) to the CFE chair and to Renee O'Brien
(Faculty Senate Committee Assistant) within 30 days of the recipient’s return from a trip. For recipients of TAPS grants who fail to do so or who fail to notify the committee of cancellation of a trip within 30 days after the scheduled trip, the unreported amount will be deducted from the maximum amount
the recipient will be eligible to receive in the next fiscal year. These reports allow us to track the budget and prevent the loss of funds at the end of the fiscal year. Appeals to the Committee for Faculty Excellence (formerly the Teaching Excellence Committee) will be decided based on their merits.
Please contact Dr. Celena Kusch, CFE Chair, or your unit representative for questions about TAPS grants or other CFE issues.
CFE Committee 2013-2014