You're Hired! Now What?
Congratulations on your new job as a student employee at USC Upstate! We know you will be an important contributor to the University's success. After accepting an offer of employment, please follow the steps below to ensure a smooth transition into your new job:
Click to enlarge
Step 1: Human Resources
- You must complete the I-9 and W-4 forms before the end of your first day of work
- Bring the proper ID's: See this list for acceptable forms of I-9 required identification
NOTE: All forms of identification must be original. We cannot accept photocopies or faxes.
If you worked on campus in the past three years and have already completed these forms, then you should not complete them again.
Step 2: Wait Time for the VIP Login
- You must wait 7-10 business days after completing the required forms in Human Resources before you can log into VIP as a student employee.
Step 3: Change VIP PIN
- To login, enter your Social Security number into Step 1 and your default PIN into Step 3 (default PIN: your birth month and birth day, entered as MMDD).
- The system will prompt you to change your PIN. Follow the steps, then wait 24 hours for VIP to reset.
Step 4: VIP & ITAMS
All student employees - VIP:
- Click the "Employment" link on the left.
- Click "Payroll Direct Deposit" to enter your banking information Direct deposit is REQUIRED; if you do not enroll, your paycheck will be withheld
- Click "Upcoming Paycheck" to view future paychecks
NOTE: Pay stubs will not be viewable several days before payday, and the error message will read: "EMPLOYEE GROSS IS ZERO."
- Click "Past Paychecks" to view previous paycheck stubs
Hourly Student Employees - ITAMS:
You can log into ITAMS 24 hours after your VIP PIN has been created. Timesheets must be submitted no later than the following Sunday for approval.
- From the "Current Students" webpage, click on the sundial icon labeled "ITAMS."
- Enter your VIP student employee login information
- Click "Time Entry" in the upper right corner
- Choose the week in the drop-down "Report Period Ending" menu for the week you wish to enter hours. (Work weeks are Sunday - Saturday).
- Enter the number of hours worked for the week.
If no timesheet appears, click "AddTimeCde" in the upper right corner.
Enter minutes rounded to the nearest quarter hour (for example, if you worked 5 hours and 12 minutes, enter 5.25; for 5 hours and 27 minutes, enter 5.5).
- Click "Save" and then click "Send for Approval."
- In the confirmation box, leave the default timesheet approver and click "Send."
Step 5: Success!
Congratulations, you're done! Here are a few things to note:
- Don't forget to submit your timesheet on time every week.
- Paydays are the 15th and the last day of each month.
- To see the weeks paid on a specific date, click the "Pay Calendar" link under "Additional Information."
- Direct Deposit is required.
- Your first paycheck may be in paper form, which is available for pickup in the Cashier's Office. Pay stubs will indicate the method of payment.