Counseling Services Confidentiality Statement
Information provided to Counseling Services will be held in the strictest confidence and will in no way be used to affect your educational status at the University of South Carolina Upstate. This information is used exclusively by Counseling Services personnel to serve you in the best way possible.
- Information shared by you with your counselor will not be released without your permission, and a signed consent form except for the following legal and ethical exceptions:
- If, in your counselor’s professional opinion, you present an imminent threat of serious harm to yourself or others;
- If you disclose actual or possible abuse or neglect of a minor, we are required to report the information to the appropriate department of social services;
- If we are ordered by a court of law to release information about you.
- Suspected abuse of elderly or disabled.
Please be aware that communication via phone lines and email may not be confidential because we cannot guarantee absolute security of these methods. We have taken steps to insure confidentiality through our systems.