Earning Academic Credit for Internships
Includes concentrations in Accounting, Economics/Finance, General Business Admin, Management and Marketing.
(Business programs are accredited by the AACSB International-The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.)
Course Name: Business Internship SBAD 499
Faculty Contact: Dr. Faruk Tanyel 864-503-5587
- Student must have earned a minimum of 36 credit hours in business and economics courses and have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher; or a 2.5 GPA or higher on twelve or more hours for the previous semester.
- Students must have completed at least 60 semester hours - Junior or Senior standing. Credits are pass/fail.
- An average of 9 hour per week of internship activities will be spread out over one standard semester - 126 total hours.
- Students initiate an internship request by contacting the Internship Coordinator who will serve as the course instructor.
- Students must register for SBAD 499 and complete an Internship Contract Form. The student must carry the completed Internship Contract Form to the Records Office to register.
- The student intern is required to maintain a journal that documents on daily basis work assignments. Students must attend an orientation session at the beginning of the semester and a final evaluation session at the end of the semester.
- Students must dress appropriately, be on time, and conduct themselves as professionals who abide by policies, procedures, rules and work schedules of the employer.
- This course is comprised of supervised work experience in the business environment resulting in meaningful product for the employing organization and a scholarly project for the student.
- Normally, SBAE students may not earn academic credit for work performed at eitiher the current or a prior place of employment.
- Normally a student will earn three credit hours for each internship course.
- A contractual agreement signed by the student, the student's advisor, the internship coordinator, and the dean is mandatory.