Founded in 1982, the Spartanburg Writing Project is a collaborative effort of Spartanburg County School Districts 1-7, the Union County School District, and the University of South Carolina Upstate. Unlike other programs in education which have a 3-5 year life span, SWP is 25 years strong. We provide professional development programs offering
- research-based methods in the teaching of writing
- standards-aligned professional development
- intensive support for improving student achievement and preparing students for PACT, HSAP, EOC, ACT and SAT writing
- assessment-driven designs for comprehensive, effective writing curriculums.
Our PhilosophySWP is a professional development organization committed to the mission of improving writing and the teaching of writing by providing services and resources to the teachers, students, schools and school districts in our service area.
Our proven steps to success include:
- planning collaboratively with schools to re-vision writing programs
- assessing student writing and designing curriculum to meet student needs
- supporting new practices through teacher training: coaching, mentoring, and modeling.
SWP provides ongoing professional development through a wide array of programs including:
- on-site workshops and teaching demonstrations
- workshop series on using writing as a learning tool
- graduate courses
- teacher leadership institutes
- writing workshop support groups
- school partnerships
- professional development conferences