BSN (Four-Year Track) Application
Please read each section carefully and submit all needed materials. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
Admission into the upper division, or final two years of study, in the nursing program is competitive. All applications are carefully reviewed by the School of Nursing. Minimum admission qualifications are listed below. It is recommended that you consult the University academic catalog and the USC Upstate Nursing webpage for more details.
- Applicants must be admitted to the University of South Carolina Upstate.
- Completion of all pre-requisite courses (lower-division, general education studies) with a grade of “C” or better is required.
- Minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale (beginning fall 2011)
- Only 1 nursing course or required science course may be repeated to earn a grade of “C” or better. If courses are repeated, both grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA.
Criminal Record Background Check
CRBC Form (for mailing in payment) | SR&I (to pay online)
To be in compliance with University agreements with our clinical agencies, all potential students must
complete a Criminal Record Background Check (CRBC). The CRBC includes a 7-year Criminal History record search, Social Security Number/Residency verification, OIG--Medicare/Medicaid fraud, Nationwide Sexual Offender Registry search and the Patriot Act Known Terrorist & Narcotics Trafficking search. Please note: If you are an international student it may require additional time and there may be additional fees. If a student has been found guilty or has plead no contest to substance abuse, child or adult abuse, sexual assault, assault with a deadly weapon, neglect or mistreatment of residents/patients/clients or misappropriation of resident/patient/client property, the facility cannot permit that student to work as a direct caregiver. The student assumes the cost of these requirements.
Currently Surveillance, Resources & Investigations (SR&I) is conducting the background checks for the Mary Black School of Nursing. Payment should be made directly to SR&I using the preferred link above.
All Criminal Record Background Checks must be performed within a specific time frame.
Any forms/payments submitted at any other time will not satisfy the application requirements.
- For fall applications: the CRBC form/payment must be submitted between Dec. 1 and Dec. 31.
- For spring applications: the CRBC form/payment must be submitted between May 1 and May 31.
Deadlines for Admission
All applications must be in the Mary Black School of Nursing office by 5 p.m. on:
- December 1 for the following fall semester;
- May 1 for the following spring semester.
Admissions Office: 864-503-5246
Financial Aid Office: 864-503-5340
Mary Black School of Nursing: 864-503-5441
Click here to submit an application to the Mary Black School of Nursing. Applicants must also review the Application Checklist below and submit any additional materials that are required for a complete application.
Your application to the Mary Black School of Nursing will be considered incomplete and will not be processed unless the following items have been completed:
- The application was turned in by the stated deadline. The application must be in the SON offices by 5 p.m. on the deadline date.
- All items on the application are completely filled out.
- You have applied to USC Upstate (transfer/readmitting students only).
You do not have to wait to be accepted to USC Upstate to apply to the
School of Nursing.
- You will have to be fully accepted to USC Upstate for the correct term by February 1 if you are a fall applicant, or by September 1 if you are a spring applicant.
- Official transcripts were sent to and received by the Admissions Office of
USC Upstate with ALL grades earned. This can take several weeks; please
do not delay sending in transcripts. Don't forget that you must send in
grades of any courses you are currently taking as soon as the semester
is over. It is not necessary to send transcripts from any USC campus.
- All official test scores (AP, CLEP, DANTES) have been sent to USC Upstate just like you would send a transcript, if applicable.
- Official transcripts and applicable test scores were sent to and received by the School of Nursing with ALL grades earned. Ideally, transcripts will also be sent to the SON in order to be sure you meet our deadlines. You may choose
to send official transcripts only to the SON. We will submit them to
the Admissions office for you. However, the SON cannot accept electronic
transcripts. They must be handed to us directly or mailed to: The Mary
Black School of Nursing, 800 University Way, Spartanburg, SC 29303.
Don’t forget that you must send in grades of any courses you are
currently taking as soon as the semester is over. Again, it is not
necessary to send transcripts from any USC campus.
- Some schools insist on sending electronic transcripts. In that case, you
should send an electronic transcript to the Admissions Office and hand-deliver or mail a second copy to the School of Nursing.
- Criminal Record Background Forms and payment were submitted to SR&I by the