Hands type at a laptop keyboard

Readmit Students

Finishing What You Started at USC Upstate

Every college journey is unique. Some get started on their educational path and then, for any number of reasons, stop along the way.

It’s important to understand that if this has been your experience, picking up from where you left off at Upstate is a supportive, streamlined process that can get you back to achieving your academic and career goals.

Simple and Supportive

When you re-enroll at Upstate you will be guided every step of the way by seasoned, encouraging admissions counselors. There are some things you’ll need to consider when it comes to the actual process, which are determined by factors like how long you’ve been away, your reason for leaving, and whether you attended any other colleges or universities.

Steps to Re-Enrolling

Make sure you’re clear on the steps involved by referring to our Readmit Student Enrollment Checklist below. 

If you have any questions about being a readmit student at USC Upstate, don’t hesitate to contact our admissions staff with any questions.

Click on plus button at the bottom of this Accordion BLOCK (not accordion tab) to create a new tab. Select Accordion TAB block to edit tab headline. Select nested blocks within accordion tab to edit content.
  • Print this numbered list to help guide you through the enrollment process.

    1. Submit the Re-admit Application for Admission online through Self Service Carolina. Students previously enrolled at USC Upstate are required to pay a $10 re-admit application fee. USC System students who have graduated with an undergraduate degree are not required to pay an application fee. If you were previously enrolled in the USC system and have missed a major semester (spring or fall), you will need to complete a re-admit application through Self Service Carolina. Also, if you attended another institution since leaving the USC system, you must have an official transcript electronically submitted or mailed directly to the University of South Carolina Upstate Office of Admissions.
    2. Submit college transcripts to the Office of Admissions for any college courses completed after last attendance in the University of South Carolina System. All transcripts must be electronically submitted or mailed directly from issuing institution to the University of South Carolina Upstate admissions office.
    3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon after January 1 as possible. USC Upstate Federal School Code is 006951.
    4. Apply for on-campus housing and send deposit to Admissions Office.
    5. Make an appointment for advisement in the department of your major.
    6. Submit immunization records (verify these are still on file in Health Services) and a newly-added health history form.
    7. Submit Citizenship Verification information if not previously submitted. To get started, please see the bottom tab of this accordion.
    8. Register for classes.
    9. Send any final transcripts.
  • Use the Re-admit Student Enrollment Checklist to ensure you stay on track.

    Any student previously enrolled in the USC system must complete the online Re-admit Application for Admission through Self Service Carolina. A $10 fee is required for students previously enrolled at USC Upstate who have not earned a degree from USC Upstate.

    Students who leave the University in good standing, miss one or more major semesters, and attend another institution while away must submit official transcripts of all college-level work attempted during their absence from the University. Such applicants must meet the same requirements as transfer students.

    Students who leave the University on suspension must apply for re-admission upon completion of the period of suspension and qualify for readmission to the major program requested. To attempt to return to the University prior to the completion of the suspension period requires an application for re-admission and a petition for reinstatement if a major semester has been missed; or a petition for reinstatement if the attempt is being made after notification of suspension but prior to missing a major semester. A petition for reinstatement is made to the University college from which the student was suspended.

    Students who attend another college-level institution while suspended from the University must maintain a satisfactory average if they wish to be re-admitted to the University. The University does not transfer credit earned during a period of suspension, but the quality of grades earned during this period could affect the decision on re-admission.

  • Pursuant to section 59‐101‐430 of the South Carolina Code of Laws, as amended in 2008, the University of South Carolina has adopted a general enrollment policy effective January 1, 2009. To attend a public University in the state, a student must be a citizen or national of the United States or an alien lawfully present in the United States.

    Students must now provide proof of citizenship before being allowed to enroll in classes at the University.

    This verification process has been adopted to deter and prevent false claims of citizenship by unlawful aliens attempting to evade the eligibility requirements of section 59‐101‐430.

    You must complete the Citizenship Status Verification form and send it, along with proof of citizenship* to a University of South Carolina Upstate Citizenship Verification Office.

    The deadline for submitting these documents is prior to attending orientation or registration. If the documents are not submitted we will be obliged to place a hold on your registration in order to comply with state law.

    *Proof of Citizenship – One of the following documents can be mailed along with the Citizenship Status Verification form:

    • Copy of your South Carolina driver’s license if you first became a licensed driver in South Carolina after January 1, 2002
    • Certified Birth Certificate indicating that you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States. 

    If proof of citizenship is based upon any of the following documents, you must bring the original document along with this form to the Enrollment Services Office in the HEC Building:

    • Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years
    • Certificate of Naturalization ‐‐ USCIS Form (N‐550 or N‐570)
    • U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N‐560 or N‐561)

    NOTE: If name has changed since birth, you must present all legal documents (i.e., adoption records, marriage certificate, certificate of naturalization, and court ordered name change) supporting all name changes from the name which appears on the document presented as proof of citizenship.