An Army veteran and woman face each other


Seamless Support for Student Veterans and their Families

Welcome to the University of South Carolina Upstate’s Veterans Page! We are dedicated to supporting our veterans as they transition from military service to academic life. At USC Upstate, we provide a wide range of resources tailored specifically for veterans, including academic advising, career counseling, and financial assistance programs. Our commitment to fostering a veteran-friendly campus environment ensures that you have the support and resources you need to succeed in your educational journey. Join our vibrant community and discover the opportunities awaiting you at USC Upstate.

Get the Support You Deserve

USC Upstate’s Veterans Affairs Office assists student veterans and families with service-related inquiries, benefits, education, and career guidance, while also handling V.A. benefit certifications. Visit us each semester to apply for or continue receiving V.A. benefits.

Contact Robin Hollis at 864-503-5273 for further details.

DoD Compliance Information 

Click on plus button at the bottom of this Accordion BLOCK (not accordion tab) to create a new tab. Select Accordion TAB block to edit tab headline. Select nested blocks within accordion tab to edit content.
  • Veterans Affairs Enrollment Certification

    In order to receive V.A. education benefits, eligible students must be certified through the Veterans Affairs Office. After enrolling at USC Upstate, please contact Veterans Affairs Coordinator Robin Hollis. In addition to applying to the V.A., students must also complete the online V.A. Enrollment Certification form below. You will need your network ID to access the Enrollment Certification Form.

    Veterans Affairs Enrollment Certification Form (for continuing Veterans only)

    Who is eligible for V.A. student benefits?

    • Veterans
    • Dependents of veterans
    • Surviving spouse, child or parent of a deceased veteran
    • Uniformed service member
    • Present/former National Guard member or reservist

    How do you apply for V.A. benefits?

    Do I need to contact the Veterans Affairs Coordinator throughout the year?
    Students receiving V.A. benefits must notify the V.A. Coordinator if:

    • There is an increase or decrease in the number of credit hours he or she is taking.
    • They withdrawal from the university. 
    • They are selected for reserve status.
    • There is a change in their legal name or mailing address.

    Students who do not inform the Veterans Affairs Coordinator of their current status, may result in a delay in processing their benefit claim.

  • Mesothelia Guide is your trusted ally in the fight against asbestos-related cancer. We provide up-to-date information about living with mesothelioma, top doctors, treatment options, and more. Mesothelia Guide

    CHAPTER 30 – The Montgomery GI Bill® (“new” GI Bill®)

    The Montgomery GI Bill® (“new” GI Bill®): This program provides educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. (Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1606 below).

    NOTE: Any previous recipient of “old” GI Bill® benefits should report them as Chapter 30 on this form.

    CHAPTER 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans

    This program is for individuals who have a compensable service connected disability, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap. Students reporting this benefit must report monthly subsistence allowance on this form. 

    CHAPTER 33 – Post – 9/11 GI Bill®

    This program is for individuals who served on active duty after 09/10/2001. Individuals must have served for an aggregated period of at least 90 days or served at least 30 continuous days and received a disability discharge.

    NOTE: Individuals are eligible while on active duty after serving a period of 90 days.

    CHAPTER 35 – Dependents Educational Assistance Program 

    This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes. 

    CHAPTER 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill®:  Selected Reserve (old Chapter 1606)

    This program is available to members of the Selected Reserve including the National Guard. 

    CHAPTER 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance Program

    This benefit is for a Reservist called to active duty to support contingency operations.

  • CHAPTER 35– Dependents Educational Assistance Program

    Who is this for? This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service connected causes.  

  • USC Upstate offers several on campus resources for veterans. For additional information on resources available to veterans, please contact Robin Hollis, veterans affairs coordinator at 864-503-5273 or Robin Hollis.

    On Campus Resources

    Green Zones:
    Across campus, veterans will find green zones, military friendly locations where student veterans can feel safe. Faculty, staff members and students in these locations attend annual training to understand issues veterans encounter,  to help veterans find appropriate resources and to support veterans as they transition to or form deployment. Green zones are labeled with a green postcard. 

    Current green zones

    For more information, please contact Lisa Caggiano or 864-503-5886.

    Go Army Tuition Assistance Program:

    Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition. You may request TA from 60 days up to 10 days prior to your class start date. TA typically covers up to $250 per credit hour with a fiscal year limit of 16 credit hours. Please complete the Verification of Military Service form and the Tuition Assistance Request Form and return it to Student Account Services to begin the process of applying for this assistance. Please make note of important deadlines on forms when applying.

    Military Tuition Assistance

    Tuition Eligibility table

    Student Veterans Association
    The purpose of the Student Veterans Association is to connect veterans with resources needed for success and to cultivate a veteran-supportive environment. A strong connection will be constructed within the SVA, the administration, faculty and the community, while providing veterans with all the means necessary for student life and achievement beyond school. Membership within the SVA will be open to all registered students attending USC Upstate who are enrolled in at least one credit hour and who are veterans, active duty, reservists or family members of servicemen or women.

    For more information, please contact the following.

    Tina Herzberg, Associate Professor
    HEC, Room 3039

    Lori Whitmire, Faculty Advisor 
    Media 129 

    Student Veterans Association

    Student Grievances and Complaints

    Additional Resources

    Student Success 
    Library second floor
    Susannah Waldrop, Director

    Veterans Affairs
    HEC, Room 2050
    Robin Hollis, Veterans Coordinator

    Office of Diability Services
    Sansbury CLC, Suite 107
    Wendy Woodsby, Director

    Financial Aid
    HEC, Room 2076
    Bonnie Carson, Director 

    HEC, Room 2064
    Ira Pace, Counselor

Military Students

We are committed to helping our military students navigate their financial options while continuing their education. We will address your questions and help you access all of your benefits.

Find Your Path

Active Duty Tuition Discount

Active Duty Tuition Discount: If you are an undergraduate student who is on active duty, a member of the National Guard, or a reservist, you qualify for a tuition discount.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance: The Department of Defense makes funds available for active duty service members who seek to further their professional or personal development.

Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Compliance Information

Department of Defense Voluntary Education Partnership Compliance Information: USC Upstate follows SOPs and DOD regulations when processing voluntary education benefits for service members.

Contact Information

Records Registration and Veterans Affairs

Health Education Complex (HEC), Room 2050
300 North Campus Boulevard
Spartanburg, SC 29303
Fax: 864-503-5074

Robin Hollis
Records Specialist, Veterans Coordinator