USC Upstate welcomes children, youth, and families to explore and learn together at USC Upstate.
There are many opportunities for students in grades 3-12 to improve their knowledge and their skills. USC Upstate offers summer camps in academics, athletics and the arts and sciences.
Do you have a budding thespian in your household? Be sure to check out our Theatre for Youth program. As part of this program, students will participate in our Thursday Afternoon Acting Group, where they will learn all aspects of theatre life from performance to set design.
Each year the University also is the host of the Piedmont Regional Spelling Bee, the Piedmont Regional Science Fair, as well as the Spartanburg Writer’s Project.
Click on plus button at the bottom of this Accordion BLOCK (not accordion tab) to create a new tab. Select Accordion TAB block to edit tab headline. Select nested blocks within accordion tab to edit content.
USC Upstate will host the annual Regional Spelling Bee Saturday, Feb. 24, in the Olin B. Sansbury, Jr. Campus Life Center Ballroom at 180 Gramling Drive, Spartanburg, S.C., 29303. The school winner recognition begins at 10:30 a.m. followed by the final round of the Bee at 11 a.m.
Each year the University hosts the Regional Spelling Bee for students from Spartanburg, Cherokee and Union counties.
Volunteers from the community help with the bee. On the day of the spelling bee, at least 16 volunteers serve as judges during the preliminary rounds. Training is provided and judges attend a one-hour training session.
The contest will bring together youths from public, private and home-school environments.
The winner has the opportunity to represent Upstate South Carolina in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C.
For more information, contact organizer Kim Land at 864-590-5411, or email@example.com.
2024 Marks Piedmont Region III Science Fair’s 70th Year!
Any changes to the modality of the 2024 Science Fair will be posted on this website, on our Facebook page, and emailed to School Coordinators.
Here is what you need to be aware of:
- The rules and overall format of the posters will remain the same (2024 Packet coming soon) Projects that use human subjects, biological materials, or potentially harmful materials will still need to provide the appropriate paperwork for the SRC (Grades 5 – 12). ISEF created a really nice rules wizard to help students determine what they need to do before they submit their paperwork to Society for Science (SRC) Rules Wizard.
- School Science Fair Coordinators, please use this link to identify if your school will be participating in 2024: Participation
- Registration of participating schools will be from March 1st – 8th. All projects must be submitted by 5 p.m. on March 8, 2024.
- Project Drop off on Tuesday, March 12: Projects can be dropped off from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Only High School students should be present for interviews
- Project Pick Up on Thursday, March 14: Projects can be picked up from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Awards Ceremony: Saturday, March 16 in the Campus Life Center (CLC) Ballroom, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
The Piedmont Region III Science Fair is hosted annually by USC Upstate. The main sponsor of the Piedmont Region III Science Fair is the Rotary Club of Spartanburg. This fair is an ISEF-affiliated fair and serves students from grades 1-12 in the South Carolina counties of Chester, Cherokee, Lancaster, Spartanburg, Union, and York.
Information from previous Regional Science Fairs:
The 2023 winners have been announced! Please click on the links below to view the general award winners and special award winners.
2021 Virtual Awards Ceremony:
Access the recorded 2021 Piedmont Region III Science Fair Awards Ceremony
The University of South Carolina Upstate offers a variety of summer academic and athletic camps for middle school, and high school students.
USC Upstate hosts summer camps beginning in June. The University has hosted a number of athletics camps, academic camps, science camps, junior writers camps and youth drama camps, just to name a few. As a host campus, USC Upstate offers both day and overnight options.
USC Upstate hosts a number of summertime athletics camps. For complete information on camps and dates, visit the USC Upstate Spartans website.
Contact Special Events
If you are interested in hosting your summer camp on the USC Upstate campus, please contact Special Events at 864-503-5989 or email special events for more information.